(THIS IS ONLY A TEMPORARY FIX – YOU WILL WANT TO UNDO THIS ONCE YOUR DNS ISSUES ARE RESOLVED – probably a few hours, maybe a day or two)
Ok, so over 2 hrs ago I started having problems getting to google. After trying to find information on Yahoo and Bing I found a bunch of people on twitter with the same issues. After 2 hrs thought I decided I’d do more research. I did some dns lookups and pings and thought maybe it was a DNS issue – so I went in and changed my local dns listings to point to google’s servers directly and I was able to get Google, and Gmail – other services if I needed them could be added so here are the steps if you need to do the same:
1. C:WINDOWSsystem32driversetchosts in a text editor
2. At the bottom of the file add the lines:
3. Save file – try www.google.com
4. If it works find any other ip addresses for youtube or other domains you need to access and add them.
5. DON’T FORGET TO UNDO THIS OR ELSE YOU MAY HAVE TROUBLE IN THE FUTURE
See http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-7/edit-hosts-file-in-windows-7-windows-vista/ on how to update windows vista and 7 hosts files